Tuesday 4 December 2007

Sticky Toffee and Date Pudding.


Following on from "Chewys", Tag Blog. One of the question was "Name three things you have eaten today. One of my three answers was "Sticky Toffee Pudding. Which drew a few comments like I've never heard out it but sounds yummy, or Is it as good as it sounds.

So for a number of my friends across the pond, here is the recipe. Have a go it's real easy to make and you will want a second helping. Honest.

Ingredients:-
For the pudding :-

100g Chopped dates
90ml Boiling water
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
35g Softened butter
65g Demerara sugar
1 Egg
1 tsp Black Treacle (molasses)
75g Self raising flour
1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
60 ml Milk

For the Sauce:-

25g Butter
75g Dark soft brown sugar
120ml Double Cream
1 tbsp Black treacle (molasses)

Method :-

1) In a small bowl, soak the dates and vanilla extract in boiling water for 5 minutes, then drain and mash.
2) Cream together the butter and Demerara sugar.
3) Beat the egg, and add to the butter mixture, then beat in the black treacle (molasses) 1tsp.
4) Fold in 1/3 of the flour and all of the bicarbonate of soda.
5) Add half the milk and whisk continuously whilst adding the rest of the milk and flour till all is used, then stir in the mashed dates. and mix well.
6) Spoon in the mixture into four ramekins, and bake for 20 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.

The Sauce:-

7) Melt the butter, add the sugar and half the cream, bring to the boil and then simmer for about 5 minutes until the sugar as dissolved.
8) Stir in the black treacle 1tbsp (Tablespoon), turn the heat back up and let the mixture simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
9) Remove from the heat and add the rest of the cream.
10) To serve, turn out the puddings, and level by cutting off the tops, turn upside down on a plate, and pour 2 tablespoons of sauce over the pudding. Serve with either Creme Fraiche or Ice Cream.

To finish off but optional:- pour on a good slug of dark Rum to really blow you away.

Go on try it, I have made this pudding for years, alas I am unable to stand at the cooker long enough nowadays. But I've taught the wife well, so it is still one of me favorite puddings.

Let me know how you get on.

14 comments:

San said...

Keith, this sounds wonderful. I will copy the recipe onto my desktop. Then I'll look online for a conversion chart to get the quantities into "American" non-metric portions.

Easybreathingfella said...

Hi San,

Hope you don't have to much trouble converting back to the proper measurements.

I always prefer pounds and onces, but I think your measurements would still be slightly different to ours. The ruddy E.E.C. have a lot to answer for.

Let me know how you go on and your opinion on the pudding.

Once again have a great Christmas.

Luv

Keith x

Mary said...

I'm going to google Demarara sugar so I don't become to tedious with all my American questioning. Sounds delicious though.

Easybreathingfella said...

Hi Mary,

Demarara Sugar, Brown Granulated slightly soft and sticky when left for a while,Over here a lot of people have it with there coffee.

Tbsp is Tablespoon
tsp is teaspoon
As for the flour, do you still measure in cups in the States, if so your on your own.?

Good cooking

Luv

Keith x

San said...

Hey again, Keith--

My daughter (and kitchen collaborator) arrives home this afternoon. With a little luck, we'll be able to make the sticky pudding. We're at a higher elevation, which throws in a whole new set of possible problems. But we're game! (She has a month-long vacation, which will hopefully provide sufficient time for experimentation :)

Easybreathingfella said...

Hi San,

I hope you and your daughter manage to put it all together, I promise it's well worth the effort.

Might be off line for a few days, I'm going in hospital tomorrow(Wednesday)for a few days for a small operation.

So I'll expect a report on the pudding when I get out.

Best wishers to you and your family.

Keith.

San said...

Keith,

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Rachelle said...

Dear Keith,
Are you okay? Haven't seen you in a while, hope the operation was a success, and that you are recovering well.
Merry Christmas!
Rachelle

Rachelle said...

Merry Christmas to you my friend!
Hope it is a blessed one, filled with love and joy.
Slainte~
Rachelle

Easybreathingfella said...

Hi Rachelle,

I return home from hospital Christmas Eve, took it nice and easy yesterday and today.

A bit battered bruised and sore, but overaul i'm doing ok thanks for the messages.

I trust you and yours had a wonderful Christmas,I do hope so

Luv
Keith x

Easybreathingfella said...

Hi San,

Thanks for your prayers, I really appreceiate your concern,

(read Rachelle above)

Back in the grove quite soon I hope.

Luv

Keith

San said...

Thanks for the update, Keith.

Hug.

Anonymous said...

Hi Keith,
Best wishes to you for the New Year. I hope you are recovering at a steady rate.

Easybreathingfella said...

Hi Chewy,

And a very happy New Year to you also.
I'm nearly back in the saddle, and look forward to getting back to doing a bit of writing very soon.

Keep well all the best for 2008.

Luv
Keith. x